MSM Fact Sheet by LeanMachineMSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane) is a naturally occurring sulphur compound found in most plants, vegetables, fruits and animals.
Highest content is in onions, garlic and eggs (giving egg yolks their distinctive yellow colour).
MSM was discovered in the early 1960's.
MSM is now often manufactured synthetically, but identical in every way to the natural product.
Because MSM is a natural food, we can not overdose and there are no side-effects.
WarningsPeople allergic to Sulphur should not take MSM.
People suffering from Epilepsy should not take MSM as it may increase the severity of seizures.
MSM should not be taken with Asclenol, as this is mostly MSM anyway.
Those with iron deficiency anaemia should take MSM away from any iron supplementation, as MSM can reduce iron absorption.
People on blood-thinning medication should consult with their health professional, as MSM can also thin the blood, and the dose of blood-thinning medication may have to be reduced.
Generally considered safe for diabetics, but the doctor should be informed and of course blood glucose levels should always be monitored.
General InformationSulphur is the eighth most abundant element in the human body, and the third most abundant mineral behind Calcium and Phosphorus.
Sulphur makes up about 0.25% of the body by weight, with over half in the muscles, ligaments, tendons, and other connective tissues.
MSM is a special type of dietary Sulphur essential to our health and well-being, in particular for:
- Manufacture of crucial blood proteins and amino acids
- The chemical bonds that hold the molecular structure of these proteins together
- Formation of collagen, without which we would be a pile of mush on the floor
- Production of Keratin, essential for thick hair and strong healthy nails
- Bile production in the liver, imperative for digestion
- Maintaining the body's pH balance
- Carbohydrate metabolism
- Activator for Thiamine (Vitamin B1, the sulfur-containing vitamin), Vitamin C, Biotin and Pantothenic Acid (vitamin B5)
Sulfur deficiencies can cause slow wound healing, scar tissue, brittle hair and nails, gastrointestinal problems, inflammation, lung dysfunction, immune dysfunction, arthritis, allergies, acne, skin rashes and many more complaints.
The human body is always in a state of repair, but without enough sulfur, amino acids and proteins, the body will suffer.
Toxic forms of SulfurMSM is an organic form, readily absorbed up by the body.
However, the industrial sulphites used as preservatives in processed foods contribute to Alzheimer's disease, Asthma, destroy vitamin B1, as well as many other health issues.
Most food labels admit they contain sulphites, but some do not, and some simply state "Preservative" and some only give the chemical number, any number from 220 to 228.
These ingredients in the range 220-228 must be avoided:
- 220 Sulphur dioxide
- 221 Sodium sulphite
- 222 Sodium bisulphite
- 223 Sodium metabisulphite
- 224 Potassium metabisulphite
- 225 Potassium sulphite
- 228 Potassium bisulphite
Even when people take thiamine and folate in vitamin capsules, these are still destroyed by sulphites, which is why women at risk of becoming pregnant should never consume sulphites.
Foods containing high levels of thiamine (meats, dairy, cereals) should never be sulphited, but many are, especially sausages and cold processed meats.
Many pet dogs and cats have died from thiamine deficiency due to pet meat containing unlisted sulphites.
USA has banned the use of sulphites in meats since 1959, but Australia and other English and Spanish speaking countries have still allowed sulphites.
Best way to avoid sulphites:
- Avoid all processed foods, eat fresh vegetables and fruit
- Eat grass-fed meat from a local butcher after verifying that no sulphites have been added
- Eat eggs, preferably organic, or at least free-range
- Avoid all fast food, junk food, anything in a packet, bag, box, etc.
Pain ReductionMSM can reduce pain in two ways:
1. Analgesic effect acting both locally and systemically on "C fibres" (un-myelinated nerve fibres) which carry messages to the CNS (Central Nervous System), slowing transmission of pain impulses to the brain, acting in a similar way to how Morphine kills pain, but not addictive and completely safe.
2. By building increased tolerance to pain, so even the same level of pain is perceived as less pain.
MSM is a natural food, so we cannot overdose, and any excess is flushed away in urine.
LeanMachine has been taking 2 teaspoons daily for 5 years, and besides not having a cold or flu or any sickness in that time, has not even had a headache!
Of course, major pain, like hitting a finger with a hammer, is still felt, and even LeanMachine says "Ouch!" but pain like this is never bad enough to be debilitating.
Dangers of Pain MedicationStudies prove that MSM is equal or better than any over-the-counter pain killers, without the dangerous side effects such as:
- Liver-damaging effects of Panadol, Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Tylenol, etc
- Intestinal bleeding effects of NSAID's (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) such as Aspirin, Aspro, etc
- Respiratory depression and addiction problems of Codeine (which is turned into Morphine in the body). Approx 10% of people lack the enzymes required to convert codeine to morphine and so receive no pain relief.
- Blood-thickening effects of the dangerous COX-2 inhibitors like Voixx (withdrawn from the market due to too many deaths), Celebrex (illegal in some countries, and subject to court action in the USA).
ArthritisMSM does not cure arthritis, as Arthritis is actually a group of over 100 similar diseases, but can certainly alleviate symptoms of pain and restricted movement.
MSM reduces inflammation by inhibiting Fibroblasts, which are produced in the swelling process of inflammation.
MSM also binds to fluids in the swollen tissue to aid in flushing them from the body.
MSM promotes increased blood flow, improving the healing process.
Multiple SclerosisMSM will not cure MS, but will aid in pain relief.
FibromyalgiaMSM can reduce crippling pain, often to a point where chronic sufferers can resume a normal life.
Blood PressureMSM does not directly increase or decrease blood pressure, but many patients with hypertension have reduced blood pressure due to the disappearing inflammation, increased blood flow and reduced pain.
ThyroidNo known thyroid issues, but check with your doctor is there is an existing thyroid condition.
AsthmaMSM may help with the symptoms of Athsma, as it is an inflammatory condition. May also help other respiratory conditions like emphysema and bronchitis.
ConstipationMSM can help ease constipation and any associated pain, and also help with the opposite condition - diarrhoea, along with any cramps, etc.
Scar TissueMSM can reduce scar formation as well as help heal existing scars by normalising the cross-linking process of skin tissues.
Scars may not disappear altogether, but can appear less prominent.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
LeanMachine online shop
DisclaimerLeanMachine is not a doctor, and everyone should consult with their own health professional before taking any product to ensure there is no conflict with existing prescription medication.
LeanMachine has been studying nutrition and health since 2011 and has completed many relevant studies including:
Open2Study, Australia - Food, Nutrition and Your Health
RMIT University, Australia - Foundations of Psychology
Swinburne University of Technology, Australia - Chemistry - Building Blocks of the World
University of Washington, USA - Energy, Diet and Weight
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA - Health Issues for Aging Populations
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA - International Nutrition
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA - Methods in Biostatistics I
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA - Methods in Biostatistics II
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA - Principles of Human Nutrition
TUFTS University, USA - Nutrition and Medicine
TUFTS University, USA - Lipids/Cardiovascular Disease I and Lipids/Cardiovascular Disease II
Technical Learning College, USA - Western Herbology, Identification, Formulas
Bath University, England - Inside Cancer
WebMD Education - The Link Between Stroke and Atrial Fibrillation
Leiden University Medical Center, Netherlands - Anatomy of the Abdomen and Pelvis
LeanMachine has now read thousands of studies, journals and reports related to health and nutrition and this research is ongoing.
Updated 3rd August 2017, Copyright © 1999-2017 Brenton Wight and BJ & HJ Wight trading as Lean Machine abn 55293601285