Candida Fact Sheet
Candida albicans, also known as Yeast infections, Fungal infections, Mycosis and ThrushBy Brenton Wight – LeanMachine, your Wellness Adviser
Almost everyone has Candida in their bodies. For most of us, it causes no problems.
But if our immune system is compromised by antibiotics, poor diet, sleep deprivation or other factors, candida can grow uncontrollably.
Each of us has about 70 to 100 or more trillion bacteria in our bodies, weighing between 1 and 2kg, or over 3% of our total body weight.
Most of them good, but some are bad – really bad, like yeast, parasites and other organisms, and most of the time we don't know they are even there.
If we are healthy with a good diet, our immune system and the good bugs keeps the bad bugs under control. We can never eliminate them, but we can keep them at levels where they can't do too much harm.
75% of our immune system is in the gut – our trillions of good bacteria is our second, but most important line of defence against unwelcome invaders.
Our first line of defence is in the mouth, and this is where our good bacteria first start to knock out the bad guys, and this is why sugar should be banned from our diet, as sugar keeps the bad bugs fed well.
Healthy gut flora keeps candida under control, because in it's normal state, Candida is a relatively weak fungal type bug.
Unfortunately, under some conditions, Candida can transform into dangerous mutations, changing to an aggressive bug which can cause systemic (throughout the entire body) destruction.
Candida is very common, and very dangerous.
75% of women, and many men, suffer from Candida in some form at some stage, from minor symptoms including rashes, increased PMS issues and bad breath, to severe conditions like IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), depression, joint pain, and chronic fatigue syndrome.
A Candida problem can be a host of apparently unrelated chronic symptoms which refuse to go away, regardless of treatments, and a course of antibiotics only makes things much worse.
Mainstream Medicine MistakesIn the 1980's links were found between candida, chronic fatigue, chronic pain problems and fibromyalgia-type symptoms.
Mainstream health professionals have little idea how to diagnose, let alone treat Candida issues, and those who do attempt to treat Candida use dangerous medications which often exacerbate the situation by destroying our good bacteria, leaving us defenceless against the bad guys.
Creams, oils, lotions, etc are only marginally effective on the skin where applied, and cannot resolve systemic, body-wide infestations.
The "nuke it" approach, with powerful anti-fungal prescription medications, can work temporarily, but Candida is smart enough to disguise itself and eventually develop resistance to the medication.
Drugs used for other purposes such as antibiotics, cortisone therapy, immune-suppressants, even birth control pills can start a Candida infestation explosion.
Candida critters are very smart.
Classified as a fungus, but are in fact part plant, part animal, part bacteria, part parasite, and able to reproduce themselves either sexually (with a mate) or asexually (by themselves), and by re-arranging their own chromosomes, can alter their shape and forms to adapt to the environment and ensure survival.
No surprise that with these attributes, it can be very difficult to dispose of yeast infections!
How Candida WorksIn the normal, relatively harmless yeast form, under the microscope, Candida looks like a small white egg, with a smooth and consistent shape and living in our gut.
Candida feeds on the food we eat and normally keeps to itself, but under some conditions, it mutates into a monster super-fungus, multiplying rapidly to colonise in every possible part of the body.
In some areas it can double the colony size every hour, so before long it runs rampant, destroying everything in it's path.
The best way to start this happening is to feed it it's favourite food – sugar!
- White coating on the tongue
- Development of food sensitivities
- Aches and pains without a known cause
- Bloating, constipation or diarrhea
- Persistent fatigue
- Dry or other skin problems
- Vaginitis (inflammation of the female genital area)
- Breathing problems
Mutated FormsThe mutated form called mycelial-form of Candida grows rhixoids, which are elongated, finger-like tentacles that tunnel, bore and burrow their way through our gut walls, where they enter the blood vessels, to be transported everywhere in the body, blooming to a systemic infection.
They now appear anywhere - heart, eyes, kidneys, liver, lungs and even the brain. A yeast infection is not just a minor annoyance causing a little itching – this is a warning sign that some insidious thing is happening.
Like tree roots which can crack, lift and eventually destroy pavement, Candida does the same thing to our bodies as it mutates into the dangerous super-fungus form. Apart from entering the blood through the cracks in our gut and spreading, another opportunity is now “opened up” - many other undesirable things now enter our blood stream through these cracks; things which should normally stay in our gut: Bacteria, toxins, undigested food, milk, etc.
A short note about MilkThis is a good reason why no-one should ever drink homogenised milk, as the fat globules in homogenised milk are ten times smaller than un-homogenised milk, easily entering the blood through the tiniest holes in the gut.
When undigested milk enters the bloodstream directly through a "leaky gut", the body's own immune system recognises this as a unwanted invader and attempts to destroy it. From that time on, the immune system remembers this pattern, and we then have a milk allergy.
Leaky gut is the main culprit for the rapid rise in allergies we have seen in the last few decades, as we are now allergic to every food that passes directly into the blood.
We can find unhomogenised milk at all good supermarkets if we look hard enough, but none of the major brands make it.
Sure we have to shake the container to mix the cream, but that is a small price to pay for our better health, and I should also mention that we should never buy low-fat or skim milk, as all of the nutrients, including CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) and Omega-7, have been lost with the cream.
The "Low Fat" advertising is a gimmick. We lose weight more effectively with full-cream milk compared to low-fat milk.
Milk also contains lactose. Like most other things ending in "ose", lactose is a sugar, and sugar feeds candida (and cancers).
Again, milk fills a complete chapter in my upcoming book, so I'll leave a summary: Most people do better without milk, have less allergies without milk, lose more weight without milk, have stronger bones without milk, but if you have to have milk, FULL-CREAM and UN-HOMOGENISED milk is the only reasonably healthy milk to buy, and if you can get it straight from the cow (NON-PASTEURISED), even better.
Candida Waste ProductsCandida overgrowth can make us feel sick, tired, plain lousy, and can make us drunk from inside out!
As yeast dies as part of it's natural life cycle, acetaldehyde is released. This is a toxin which the liver converts to ethanol, the same hangover-causing chemical produced by high consumption of alcohol, so Candida sufferers often feel like they have a hangover without drinking a drop of alcohol, because they have an alcohol factory in their own body.
Another problem, as if we don't have enough problems already, is "Candida Poo", which is the 79 distinct toxins and waste by-products released as part of the Candida lifecycle. It's bad enough that we feed all parasites, but we have to clean up and dispose of their waste and toxic elements as well as recover from the damage and disease they cause!
Candida infestation can continue growing, producing more acetaldehyde, causing our blood alcohol level to rise enough to cause symptoms such as impaired thinking, lack of concentration, irritability, depression, brain fog, slowed reflexes, fatigue and other signs of excess alcohol.
In this state, red blood cells have trouble flowing into small capillaries, aggravating migraine headaches, fatigue, muscle aches, slowing healing.
At the same time, white blood cells have reduced ability to fight infection, often causing allergies, rashes, acne and even further inhibiting of healing processes.
Like the way bread rises from yeast because of carbon dioxide released from carbohydrate fermentation, Candida builds up carbon dioxide in the intestine, resulting in excess gas, bloating, and yet another waste product for the over-taxed body to dispose of.
The Real Candida CauseCan we defeat this little terror? Of course we can, but we must get back to basics to eliminate problems once and for all.
Why do we get Candida in the first place? Everyone has Candida, because we can't help consuming it from food, water and the environment, but the reason it develops is because our body gets out of balance, and our immune system gets compromised, allowing immediate, almost uncontrollable flourishing of Candida.
We cannot destroy Candida completely without killing ourselves, so our only real, long-lasting solution is to re-balance the body, restore the immune system, and let the body's own natural defences do their job.
If we have bad breath, rashes, fatigue, trouble concentrating, brain fog, strange allergies, wierd pains or anything we can't explain, it could be a sign that something is out of whack, allowing Candida to get out of control, and even if the problem is not Candida, correcting the balance and immune system of the body is the first step to recovery from any sickness.
Candida and CancerNew research is now finding a link between Candida infections and Cancer. While billions of dollars are being spent on cancer research, cancer cases are increasing, now overtaking cardiovascular issues as a leading cause of death. LeanMachine suggests that staying Candida free is the first step in staying Cancer free. Like most modern diseases, prevention is the key, then requiring no cure.
The CureWe must create an environment which is good for nourishment of the body, but bad for Candida. By following these guidlines, we will remain Candida free, and also reduce the risk of Cancer, Diabetes, Alzheimer's, and most other "modern" diseases.
- Eliminate all sugar from the diet. The natural sweetener xylitol is OK as it is a 5-carbon sugar alcohol, and despite it's misleading name (it is technically neither a sugar, nor an alcohol), it will not feed Candida, and has far less insulin-spiking effect. Other alternatives are Erythritol and Stevia, with virtually zero insulin spiking. Avoid all artificial sweeteners. In the long term, lose the sweet-tooth altogether
- Change to an alkaline-forming diet, as acids cause Candida and other parasites to thrive. See my Alkaline Diet Article
- Avoid yeast in all forms. All grain/flour based products will acidify and aggravate our bodies, and are usually made with yeast, the best food for Candida. No more bread, cakes, biscuits, muffins, etc. Tough for some people but you will thank me a few weeks! Excess weight will slowly disappear, while digestion, health and energy will all improve, and the holes in the gut caused by flour products will begin to heal
- Keep cool and dry, wear well-ventilated clothing and live in a well-ventilated house. Candida loves sugar, warmth and moisture. Avoid artificial fibres in clothing. Keep to natural fibres like cotton, bamboo or wool. Before buying any clothing, give it a sniff. Any trace of a chemical smell? Leave it in the store
- Never take antibiotics unless there is a severe, life-threatening situation. Antibiotics encourage Candida and other harmful organisms by destroying their natural enemies (the good bacteria)
- Reduce carbohydrate intake, as all carbs feed Candida. This means potatoes, pasta, grains, cereals, breads, cakes, etc. A healthy body requires NONE of these "foods". There is NO medical condition such as "Carbohydrate Deficiency" as the body can make all the carbs it needs from breaking down protein
- Take liver detox supplements such as Milk Thistle
- Add some parsley to each meal. Easy to grow yourself in a pot, and available at the greengrocer or supermarket
- Take a supplement containing Pau D'Arco such as Candida Support
- Also consider Pumpkin Seed Oil for more parasite protection
- Most kitchens have cloves in the spice rack. Add them to everything to help control Candida and other parasites, and add a great flavour at the same time Berberine has anti-inflammatory, immune-enhancing, anti-microbial properties against bacteria, protozoa, and fungi. Berberine's action against Candida pathogens is stronger than prescription antibiotics commonly used.
- Echinacea is also of benefit in building the immune system
- Pau D'Arco is another natural antifungal which can inhibit candida albicans, and the main ingredient is beta-lapachone, also a potent catalyst for NADH (Reduced Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide, or NAD+ or CoEnzyme E1), important for mitochondria, the energy components of every cell in the body and as a sensor for stress and disease
- Aloe contains a mucopolysaccharide with strong immune properties and also benefits the mitochondria
- Take a probiotic supplement such as Acidophilus or at least eat some yogurt every day to help re-build the good gut flora
- Try to use a probiotic that includes a FOS (fructo-oligosaccharides), a pre-biotic that enhances functionality of gut flora, included in Acidophilus above
- Fermented foods - sauerkraut, etc are a good source of probiotics, generally much more than available in supplements
- Eat more high-fibre foods like chia seeds, preferably containing over 40 grams of fibre daily
- Or take a daily fibre supplement containing Psyllium to improve regularity, keep things moving through the colon, improve internal cleansing and reduce risk of colon cancer. Can help relieve constipation, but because it increases bulk with both soluble and insoluble fibre, does not generally lead to diarrhoea
- Or a combination product Candida Balance
- Eat some garlic every day, or at least onions or shallots, but if the taste and odour is not to your liking, then try Odorless Garlic
- To help cleanse the blood and the liver, eat Chlorophyll-rich foods (Green leafy vegetables) every day. The molecular structure of chlorophyll and haemoglobin appear identical, apart from one small difference: haemoglobin has a central iron atom (making blood red), while chlorophyll has a central magnesium atom (making plants green)
- Coconut Oil contains Caprylic Acid, along with capric acid and lauric acid, MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) that help defeat candida as it is a natural anti-fungal product, and also help lose weight, as MCT's go straight to the liver to be burned as fuel and cannot be stored as fat
- Avoid antibiotics, steroid hormones and oral contraceptives, as they alter the gut bacteria, increasing risk of candida changing into an invasive form
- Avoid antibiotics in food such as from animals raised in concentrated animal feeding operations which are fed antibiotics to counteract bad sanitation and to boost growth. Ask for "grass fed" or "pasture raised" meat, and limit meat consumption (acidic) in favour of plant foods (alkaline)
- Get more good sleep, more exercise and an alkaline, sugar-free diet, but never consume food or drink with aspartame or other artificial sweeteners, which destroy good gut bacteria.
- Treat the partners of infected patients, even if there are no symptoms, as they can also be carrying abnormally large amounts of Candida, potentially leading to constant cross-infections
- Continue treatment until all symptoms have disappeared, plus a further 2 weeks, which destroys eggs laid by the previous generation
Drug TherapyThere are some prescription drugs which can help if all of the above fails and the condition is serious:
- Nystatin, an antifungal, available as tablets or a powder, and fairly benign with few side effects.
- Diflucan, an antibiotic if all else fails
LeanMachine Online Shop: Health Supplements: Best price in AustraliaUpdated: 11th August 2018. Copyright © 1999-2018 Brenton Wight - Lean Machine
DisclaimerLeanMachine is not a doctor, and everyone should consult with their own health professional before taking any product to ensure there is no conflict with existing prescription medication.
LeanMachine has been studying nutrition and health since 2011 and has completed many relevant studies including:
Open2Study, Australia - Food, Nutrition and Your Health
RMIT University, Australia - Foundations of Psychology
Swinburne University of Technology, Australia - Chemistry - Building Blocks of the World
University of Washington, USA - Energy, Diet and Weight
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA - Health Issues for Aging Populations
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA - International Nutrition
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA - Methods in Biostatistics I
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA - Methods in Biostatistics II
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA - Principles of Human Nutrition
TUFTS University, USA - Nutrition and Medicine
TUFTS University, USA - Lipids/Cardiovascular Disease I and Lipids/Cardiovascular Disease II
Technical Learning College, USA - Western Herbology, Identification, Formulas
Bath University, England - Inside Cancer
WebMD Education - The Link Between Stroke and Atrial Fibrillation
Leiden University Medical Center, Netherlands - Anatomy of the Abdomen and Pelvis
LeanMachine has now read thousands of studies, journals and reports related to health and nutrition and this research is ongoing.
LeanMachine online shop